Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Maybe Alexa is on to Me

So - just as I'd divulged the secrets of Alexa Rank in my "improve your alexa rank without even trying" post, Alexa went ahead and changed how they rank things (pretty much meaning that they are now gathering data from more than just the alexa toolbar users).

I hope that some of you enjoyed the last few glory days of abusing the toolbar rank system, and I suppose I should have kept my big mouth shut about it (I'm sure the Alexa developers were sweating in their computer chairs as they read my blog and discovered that I'd unlocked the secret of their system).

For some of you this was probably a change in the right direction (I know for my blog it helped me break the 1 million mark - sort of a big deal) - for some it probably had no effect or minimal effect - and for a few it undoubtedly hurt your rank (and for those folks I'm truly sorry - I know that most of my self esteem is based on my alexa rank value). If you feel confused about why change happened - read Alexa's explanation, it's vague but will give you an idea of what's going on now.

Don't worry, as soon as I figure out how to improve your new alexa rank - I'll let everyone know and Alexa will have to come up with a new algorithm yet again (I had no idea I had so much clout in the internet world).

No comments: